June 27, 2007

Voinovich’s Sham Indecision

Filed under: Immigration,Taxes & Government — Tom @ 1:41 pm

I’d like to do more justice to this post, but there’s no time, so I’ll just have to come out with it.

On Monday, George Voinovich’s folks at his various offices, surely at his behest, sent a clear message to all who had an interest in how he would vote on immigration-bill cloture on Tuesday that he had not committed to how he would vote and that he was open to taking comments from constituents.

I am told that the lines at one of his offices were very jammed and that he may have received as many as 1,000 phone calls at just one of those offices.

I am here to tell you, based on what is second-hand but I believe to be reliable information from a very trusted source, that George Voinovich knew on Monday, and at least several days earlier, exactly how he was going to vote on cloture.

My source tells me that Mr. Voinovich addressed a group of prominent Ohio Republicans on what I believe was a teleconference call either over this previous weekend or just before that.

Here is what I am being told:

• Voinovich spent some time attempting to sell the audience on the merits of the immigration bill (I’m told those involved were mostly not buying).
  • Voinovich said (quoting my source, not directly quoting Voinovich) that “if the people knew what the ‘real’ bill says rather than listening to talk radio then they would support it,” and that talk radio was on (a) “hatchet campaign.” My source reasonably asks why George hasn’t been trying to tell his constituents what a great bill this is.
  • It gets worse, if that’s possible. Voinovich told those assembled that he has accumulated a big campaign war chest and that he was not going to let what happened to Mike DeWine happen to him. He also intends to use this war chest to help other candidates.

It’s one thing to disagree politically, and it’s quite another to be insufferably inconsiderate. George Voinovich doesn’t give a rip about how how rude he was to everyone on Monday.

I’m a never-say-never type of person, but I can tell you that I have no current plans to waste any more of my time on George Voinovich, except to defeat him. All the money in the world wouldn’t have saved Mike DeWine. George is a very slow learner.

1. I totally agree. There are very few things that the average citizen can do to influence events in Washington, but one of them is working to remove those who can not be trusted, or are so oblivious to the needs and concerns of their constituents as to make a mockery of the term “Representative”.

Voinovich no more represents the people of Ohio then Hillary represents New York.

But, instead of focusing on Voinovich, we need to be working on the RNC and ORC to let them know that nothing will come to them if they support Voinovich. We simply will not participate in another cluster f**k such as got Spector re-elected.

Comment by Kicker — June 27, 2007 @ 3:12 pm

2. “if the people new what the ‘real’ bill says rather than listening to talk radio then they would support it,”

Isn’t that the problem? Does even Voinovich know what is really in the bill, how many pages of legalese is it? The country has been screwed over twice: Kennedy in 1965 and during Reagan’s watch in 1986. We all won’t be fooled again. If we were only talking about 10K or 100K people there would be no sweat, but we are talking 12+ million people of little skill who will be a drain upon the treasury for two generations. The problems with energy independence and the SS trust fund we can not afford to carry anymore, the lifeboat is full.

Comment by dscott — June 27, 2007 @ 3:13 pm

3. dont know if anyone just heard his embarrasing interview on Hannity – it was one for the ages.

Comment by Ben Keeler — June 27, 2007 @ 4:04 pm

4. I spoke at length w/a Voinovich staffer Tuesday who tried to give me the same [bullsh#&] talking points, acting like we don’t know what’s going on – although when pressed, he didn’t know details either – as well as bashing talk radio [Hannity in particular]. It was clear he was going to screw us…again.

My question to him was this:
    Is whatever George is being promised for his “yes” vote on the amnesty bill worth his job (because that’s what it will cost)? Of course I got no answer so I wrapped it up with advice: The undistinguised Senator needs to ask the undistinguised Mike DeWine what happens when you continually betray the people who got you elected…

That man is a nimrod and he must go. I absolutely will not vote for him no matter what.

Comment by Rose — June 27, 2007 @ 8:44 pm

5. [...] Voinovich should remember what happened to Mick Dewine last November. Ohio Republicans can not tolerate Voinovich. Listen to the interview over at Hot Air, and judge for yourselves. I have never voted for Voinovich since his first election as Governor, and I would never vote for him again. BizzyBlog has a lot more coverage.  [...]

Pingback by Voinovich Embarrasses Ohio (Again) « Thespis Journal — June 27, 2007 @ 9:08 pm

6. We really, really need a primary opponent in 2010.

Comment by dave — June 27, 2007 @ 10:49 pm

7. [...] And last but not least, Bizzy encapsulates the feelings of a lot of us: Here is where I boil. On Monday, George Voinovich was so dismissive of his constituents’ time, talents and energies that he was perfectly willing to have thousands of people waste their time, talents, and energies making their feelings known to him when he had NO intention of changing his vote. As important (but not more important), he wasted the time, talents, and energies of dozens of bloggers, Sean Hannity and surely other talk-show hosts, National Review and surely other leading conservative outfits. [...]

Pingback by NixGuy.com » Voinovich Update — June 27, 2007 @ 10:50 pm

8. George Voinovich does not represent the people of Ohio on the immigration issue.He has let down everyone down and we will not support him in any way and will work for his defeat.

Comment by Roy Tucker,Harriett Tucker — June 28, 2007 @ 10:41 am

9. Count on one more pair of boots on the ground to see Voinovich defeated in the 2010 primary. I live near Cleveland and I edit the local Republican club newsletter, and I’m going to make sure there’s a shot at him in every issue from here on out, and I’m going to make sure his office gets copies.

Comment by Oldsmoblogger — June 28, 2007 @ 2:15 pm