April 18, 2008

Light Posting/Non-Posting Alert

Filed under: General — Tom @ 7:51 am

A civic duty calls that may take up only a small part of the day, or the whole day.

UPDATE, 11:00 a.m.: It was jury duty. Many were called, and few were chosen. I was not among the chosen.

However, because of work on a longer assignment and some personal commitments, the potential post stack is shorter than normal. So there might not be a lot of new stuff until later in the day or in the evening.

1. Just a question. Has anyone ever proposed a change to income tax that would call the first $20 to $25k totally tax free and then a flat tax on any amount over that on each individual with absolutely no deductions for anything and no joint filing by spouses: every individual pays his own taxes? I can’t believe that I am the only one who’s thought of that but I don’t know how to find out.

Thanks for being there!

Comment by Timothy A. Jumonville — April 18, 2008 @ 11:00 am

2. I figured as much. Good for you in doing your duty. I received a notice for jury duty in the mail yesterday and filled out a questionnaire for it this morning. My wife thinks I’d be sent home if I’m called because she was on a jury recently. We’ll see.

Not that I’d mind being on a jury. I wouldn’t. It’d be something different from my daily grind and I do see it as one of my duties as a citizen.

Comment by deskbox — April 18, 2008 @ 11:19 am

3. Obama giving Hillary the finger?

Comment by Petra — April 18, 2008 @ 1:27 pm

4. #1, That’s what the flat tax is, except the income exempted is in the neighborhood of $36K now. Phil Gramm in the mid-1990s had it at about $25K.

The proposals don’t touch FICA, though, and probably shouldn’t, since those who pay in at lower incomes get higher proportional benefits compared to what they put in.

#3, from the facial expression, it appears that it’s more than a casual scratch. But …. can’t prove anything. It would be interesting to study his mannerisms to see if he usually uses his index finger. If he usually does…..

Comment by TBlumer — April 18, 2008 @ 2:18 pm

5. With a few modifications, I still like HR 25 (“Fair Tax”).

Comment by Rose — April 18, 2008 @ 3:58 pm