April 22, 2008

Positivity: Rescue forms bond between girl, EMT

Filed under: Positivity — Tom @ 5:57 am

From Middletown, Pennsylvania:

April 11, 2008 6:05 AM

She had her bathing suit and flip-flops on and was getting ready to host a pool party.

She was off duty, and the last thing volunteer emergency medical technician Kristi Komyanek anticipated on this day was high drama.

But then her cell phone rang, the first in a series of rapid-fire events on May 27 that would end with Komyanek saving the life of 3-year-old Angelica Faith Bolton.

The call was from Frank Farry, assistant township manager in Middletown and chief at the Langhorne-Middletown Fire Co.

“I was with Adam Lyons, one of the guys from my squad [Penndel-Middletown Emergency Squad] who had arrived early for the party,” recalled Komyanek, 23. “I saw Frank’s name on the caller ID and was thinking, “Why is he calling me? He knows I’m off duty and having a party’.”

As Farry told her about a possible drowning, the location of the incident — Crescent Street in the High Pointe development of Middletown — immediately struck Komyanek.

“Hey, that’s my street,” she told Farry.

“I know,” he responded, “That’s why I called you.”

Racing a few hundred feet to the Boltons’ house, Komyanek came upon two adult baby-sitters sitting on the front porch and holding Angelica.

“They were screaming and crying for help,” she said. “I picked the baby up and felt for a pulse. She had one but wasn’t breathing. Her eyes were rolling around in the back of her head, her lips were powder blue and I could hear water swishing around in her lungs. I immediately started rescue breathing [artificial respiration] for her.”

Angelica’s parents, Helen and Bill Bolton, were not home at the time.

Apparently, Angelica had slipped past an unlocked gate and was next to the Bolton’s pool. Leaning over to rescue a toy that had fallen into the water, Angelica fell in and had remained there an unknown period of time.

“I don’t think anyone noticed until a pizza guy who had come to make a delivery went back outside and saw something floating in the pool,” Komyanek said.

As she continued breathing for Angelica, Komyanek said the rescue took on an almost dreamlike quality.

“All I could see was this little baby needing my help,” she said. “It was like nothing else or nobody else existed. It was almost like a movie, everything in slow motion, just me and her.”

Adam Lyons, a paramedic with Penndel-Middletown, did whatever he could to help, including summoning more assistance from the squad. A Middletown detective who lived next to the Boltons called four more township cops to stop traffic at intersections on the way to St. Mary Medical Center.

When the ambulance bearing Angelica arrived there, she was transferred to a helicopter and airlifted to Temple University Children’s Medical Center, where she remained in the intensive care unit for 16 days before making a full recovery.

“I went down to visit and a doctor told me if I hadn’t been there, Angelica would have died,” said Komyanek. “That was a very heartfelt moment, one I’ll never forget.” …..

Go here for the rest of the story.


No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.