May 14 Topside Update: The Trumpet and cover pictures story has been picked up by Sean Hannity (see box with rotating items on the left side at his site) –
Sean, I’d be happier if you were linking directly here, but the fact that the news is spreading is the important thing. Any visiting Hannity fans should be sure to go to the follow-up posts above.
(begin original post)
The Cover Guy
It’s the March 2007 issue. The cover image was found in the March 11, 2007 Trinity United Church of Christ (TUCC) bulletin.
Topics on the cover of this issue of Trumpet are:
- Barack Obama: History in the Making
- Africans in Disapora, Part 2 (in the United Kingdom)
- A Woman’s Worth, as Seen in the Eyes of Angela M. Brown, Cheryle Robinson Jackson, and Rhoda McKinney Jones
- Rear View: Abortion
Here’s an Obama-Wright bonus, as found in the December 26, 2004 TUCC bulletin (graphic is not clickable):
In this case, the topics are very difficult to decipher; Because of blurred pixelation, I can’t even tell what the issue date is. Since the Trumpet shown in the previous week’s bulletin had a different cover, I would guess that the above Obama-Wright cover is from January 2005.
As to topics, I can’t tell at all, except for the obvious “Yes We Did!”
Finally, there’s one more cover where Obama makes an appearance. It was found in the February 12, 2006 TUCC bulletin (click here or on the pic to enlarge):
As with the previous blurred cover, I can’t tell what month it relates to. But I can read its title (“The Legacy Lives On”), and I believe I am correct in recognizing Obama, Wright, and Louis Farrakhan in the second row from the bottom. Positive IDs of the others would be useful.
Kurtz Is Right
The three Trumpet covers shown here may not represent all where Obama made an appearance, as my 125-plus collection of TUCC bulletins only represents about 65% or so of those I would expect to have been issued over the period from late May 2004 until late March 2008.
Kurtz writes that “efforts to obtain that (March 2007 Obama cover) issue from the publisher or Obama’s interview with the magazine from his campaign were unsuccessful.” I would suggest that it’s because it would, as does what’s on display at this post, give further support to Stanley Kurtz’s prime contention, which, based on his investigative work and the most rudimentary application of common sense, is this:
To the question of the moment–What did Barack Obama know and when did he know it?–I answer, Obama knew everything, and he’s known it for ages. Far from succumbing to surprise and shock after Jeremiah Wright’s disastrous performance at the National Press Club, Barack Obama must have long been aware of his pastor’s political radicalism. A careful reading of nearly a year’s worth of Trumpet Newsmagazine, Wright’s glossy national “lifestyle magazine for the socially conscious,” makes it next to impossible to conclude otherwise.
Memo to CNN’s John Roberts, who says he has established a “Wright-free zone” on his program: Wright-free, schmight-free.
ADDENDUM: There are a lot of “interesting” people gracing the Trumpet Newsmagazine covers I have seen. I will get to them in a later post.
Previous Related Posts:
- May 5 — The Obamas and the TUCC Bulletins — A May 5 Series:
— May 5 — Selected Quotes from Others in the Wright – TUCC Bulletins
— May 5 — MORE Selected History and Economics Lessons from the Wright-TUCC Bulletins
— May 5 — Selected History and Economics Lessons from the Wright-TUCC Bulletins
— May 5 — The TUCC Bulletins: “European Dominance” and the Church’s Black-Power Roots
- May 1 — Obama Bulletin Blowback: Wright’s Stated and Sanctioned Equations of US War Efforts with Terrorism Are Nothing New, and Have Been Frequent
- April 18 — Obama’s Ongoing Nightmare: Wright’s Rants, Church Bulletin Bombshells, and More
- April 17 — Hillary Clinton Channels March BizzyBlog Wright-TUCC Bulletin Post
- April 15 – Per Rev. Wright: Jefferson a Pedophile AND Rapist, Washington Also Fathered a Slave Child
- April 8 — The Objectively Unfit Barack Obama
- March 26 — Another Bulletin Bomb from Obama’s Pastor, Plus Helpful Campaign Assistance from BizzyBlog
- March 24 — JPost Picks up Obama Condemnation of TUCC Bulletin’s Hamas Column
- March 21 — Obama (Shhh) Blasts Hamas Op-Ed in Church Bulletin, Silent on Other Bulletin Items
- March 21 — Did The New Republic Out Obama As a TUCC Bulletin Reader in March 2007?
- March 20 — Church Bulletin Bonus: Omid Safi and the Progressive Muslim Union (PMU)
- March 17 — TUCC’s Church Bulletins from July 2007 Probably Make Whether Obama Was Present on July 22 Irrelevant