September 3, 2008

Ahead of Sarah Palin’s Speech Tonight

It seems that media and Obama surrogates’ (but I repeat myself) trash-talking and demonizing have lowered expectations of Sarah Palin’s speech tonight to the “Can she get out a complete sentence?” level.

My sense is that this will work to her advantage, bigtime.

In fact, based on her performance on Friday (“That was the best political speech I have ever seen delivered by an American woman politician. Palin is as tough as nails.” — liberal gadfly Camille Paglia), I think the only question is whether it will be the best or second-best speech ever given by a female politician at a major party’s national convention.

Here’s the text of the current champion, Elizabeth Dole at the 1996 Republican Convention (yeah, the other side won, but that doesn’t affect how good the speech was). After that speech, even the nets, which were notoriously hostile towards her husband Bob, had to admit to having been blown away, as noted in this Media Research Center CyberAlert:

“Absolutely powerful performance,” gushed Dan Rather after Elizabeth Dole finished her reflections on Bob Dole’s life. “It was masterful,” agreed Tim Russert on NBC where Tom Brokaw explained: “In the language of this summer, ladies and gentlemen, that was a gold medal performance.” ABC’s Peter Jennings pronounced it “an unquestionably brilliant piece of stagecraft by Mrs. Dole.

A link to the actual vid would be welcome if anyone has it (comment below or e-mail me).

I can’t even think of a memorable second-best. If it’s Ma Richards in 1992, the bar is indeed very low. Alternative suggestions are welcome.

First, I believe she can pull it off.

Second, if she does — but even if she goes with the traditional delivery route — she could erase the teleprompter-only substance-free speech-making mystique of “The One” I refer to as “Mr. BOOHOO-OUCH” (Barack O-bomba Overseas HusseinObambiObama – Objectively Unfit Coddler of Haters) in one night.

A related entry is at NewsBusters.org.

__________________________________________________

Update: This list would lead one to think that Condi Rice in 2000 is at the top, but I think Liddy Dole in ’96 wins on style points. The Hillary Clinton and Eleanor Roosevelt speeches listed on the same page, which is listed in alpha order by last name, were not delivered at a political convention.

1. Ironman (sorry I deleted this, but rescued it)

This is only tangentially related to this post (at best – you’re more than welcome to file this comment directly in the dust bin!), but it goes to media bias and its effect upon public perception. There may be a way to measure the impact of media influence upon public perception, at least with respect to economic reporting.

I’m disinclined to believe that the same method could be applied to look at the political case – where politics are involved, there isn’t much in the way of an objective standard to make comparisons against.

Comment by TBlumer — September 3, 2008 @ 12:37 pm

2. Sorry, am2boys, I’m having a bad mouse day — I had to fish this out after accidentally deleting it. Thx for the comment.

amy2boys

I think she’s going to be stunning. She’s not some bumpkin recruited off the sidelines of her kid’s hockey game, which the press would love to have us all think. She’s a ball buster. Here’s to hoping it shows!

Great post.

From Ahead of Sarah Palin’s Speech Tonight, 2008/09/03 at 1:14 PM

Comment by TBlumer — September 3, 2008 @ 2:12 pm

3. [...] BizzyBlog remembers Elizabeth Dole’s bravo performance in 1996 It would be a real tradition-breaker, but I’m hoping against hope that Palin will use Liddy’s delivery style (those who remember it know what I’m talking about) with Friday’s substance (and beyond). [...]

Pingback by NixGuy.com » Palin Speech Forecast — September 3, 2008 @ 8:10 pm

4. “Mr. BOOHOO-OUCH”? Did your five-year-old help you come up with that one?

Comment by Tinyboss — September 3, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

5. Has someone given her a job description yet?

Comment by lizG — September 3, 2008 @ 10:51 pm

6. Bashing is so uncalled for. Ms. Palin needs to focus on why she was choosen…There are so many qualified Republicans WHY HER…MAKING HISTORY…This is not the time. Our country is in great distress and the twins Bush and McCain know it. This lady may be great at what she does, but this venue is sorely ridiculous. There is NO connection between her and McCain, NONE…She does not fit this circle of politicians, Come on..she’s no Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama for sure….This lady may be perfectly made for another venue in politics such as her present job. I’m sorry..I’m not a smob, Just an educator who simply thinks this is a horrible choice….For the record her speech was ———, sounds like she was told what to say. She needs to be herself and not try so hard to fit into the old boys club.It was not electrifying or moving, just appeared to be a speech to say I follow the directions, thats exactly what she’ll be doing in the White House. OOOPs. In Alaska where she belongs taking care of her family, like mothers do, and attending to her daughter and her baby who both need her special care guidance at this ijn their lives.

Comment by Saundra — September 3, 2008 @ 11:44 pm

7. Sarah Palin – speech was a thing of beauty…

Watching Sarah Palin deliver he Republican Nation Convention speech was a thing of beauty. I felt as if I was watching history in the making. After the performance last night, I believe the media will have a difficult time declaring Palin a gimmick.
    ….

Trackback by The Emotional Cripple — September 4, 2008 @ 10:04 am

8. Oooooh…lookie all the make-up clad bow-heads, the “feminist” crabs scratching their claws to grab Palin from the top of the bucket. They’re trying to drag her back into the waste of [their own] liberal fodder in which they lay every night.

Probably brings back some bad memories, huh? You were the easy chicks in high school who were always out-smarted by the natural-looking and athletic beauty who found and married her hs sweetheart (after he undoubtedly rejected you). And to this day, while their numbers have decreased, thanks to that fodder bucket in which you live, the Sarah Palin’s of the nation still get to you…they have aged well, they have gotten where they are not by calling themselves a “victim” but by hard work, perserverance and the love of “cleaning house” and getting the job done. The Sarah’s of the world effortlessly catch men’s attention b/c they are smart, strong and can manage thru life’s ebbs & flows w/the calm resolve of a pitbull…you on the other hand still try to use the “hair-toss-giggle combination,” only your hair is far too ratty now and your cigarette-burnt giggle makes you sound like Yoda (and your backside probably resembles Jabba the Hut).

Indeed the Sarah Palin’s of the world have run figurative and literal circles around your skanky selves for your entire lives…and ya know what? They always will.

Heh, heh, heh, heh,…..

Comment by Rose — September 4, 2008 @ 2:24 pm

9. #8, Maureen Dowd resents resembles your remark.

Comment by TBlumer — September 4, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

10. All I have to say after watching Sarah Palin’s speech is that I am very, very impressed.

Impressed with Sarah Palin? God, no. Not at all.

I am impressed with the fact that in less than 24 hours after delivering her pathetic excuse for a speech, the Obama campaign has reported an unprecedented amount of 8 million dollars in donations from the American people (of whom I’m guessing all saw Ms. Hockey Mom’s “speech”).

So I am impressed with the fact that Sarah Palin has officially earned more money for Obama’s campaign than she has for her own.

Keep talking, conservatives. Time is money… The more you talk, the more we gain. Literally.

P.S. What’s the only difference between Sarah Palin and George Bush? Sarah Palin wears lipstick.

Comment by Caitlin — September 4, 2008 @ 7:48 pm

11. #10, Yawwwwwwwwn.

Obama spends it faster than he can take it in, and the RNC/McCain $ on hand are > DNC/BOOHOO’s:

What’s the diff between Palin and Obama? Palin has accomplished things.

Comment by TBlumer — September 4, 2008 @ 10:14 pm

12. Awwwwww, poor Caitlin….jealous much?

$8 million? Is that all? McCain raised $10 million since Palin was named as veep.

Caitlin sweetie, just keep practicing that hair-toss-giggle combo, I hear the judges gave you a 1.5 out of 20 on your most recent attempt.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh,….

Comment by Rose — September 5, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

13. #9, Oh thanks, now I’m going to have nightmares! Zeesh, aren’t plastic surgeon’s supposed to “pull” from the hair line and not let all the skin folds go down into her neck?!

You are absolutely right, she is Jabba the Hut!

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!