September 30, 2008

Memo to the ‘Jean Schmidt Is a RINO’ Chorus ….. (UPDATE: Let-Down)

Filed under: Economy,OH-02 US House,Taxes & Government — Tom @ 12:05 pm

….. uh, not exactly (HT Weapons of Mass Discussion; roll call vote of 205 for and 228 against is here):

Schmidt said she voted against the (bailout) bill because taxpayers need a better deal in which “every penny of their investment” is returned. Also, the bill did nothing to prevent the underlying problems “that caused this mess,” she said.

“If you have a flat tire, you can’t just fill it with air, you have to fix the hole first,” Schmidt said.

Calls to the congresswoman’s office had been running as high as 70 percent against the bailout proposal.

Those who thought she would always vote the GOP leadership’s line, especially when it varies from conservative principles, appear to be in need of a rethink. She didn’t go wobbly on us; I’m sure quite a few expected it.

8th District Congressman, House Republican Leader, and usually Great American John Boehner temporarily wandered yesterday. I look forward to his return shortly.

__________________________________________

UPDATE, Oct. 3 — Unfortunately, in the end, Schmidt joined a few dozen others and wilted, as this BuckeyeRINO post indicates. Very. Disappointing.

1. Does Schmidt have a better deal to offer? We could surely use one.

Wait ‘til Jean sees how hard a flat tire is to fix after you’ve run it down the road a ways.

Comment by Tony B. — September 30, 2008 @ 12:25 pm

2. #1, markets seemed to handle things pretty well today. My guess is that it’s the greatest gain ever by the Dow…. just looked up, it’s the second best. Armageddon isn’t around he corner.

Comment by TBlumer — September 30, 2008 @ 8:58 pm

3. This bill – like all democrat thinking/policies, treated the symptoms with money and absolutely no required results or consequences.

If an alcoholic needs a new liver, you don’t just give him one w/o stipulations, rather you give him one on the condition that he stop drinking and address the issues that made him start.

I too will give Jean Schmidt kudos for listening to her constituency on this. I haven’t seen this much action since Dubai ports, I mean Harriet Meirs (sp.), I mean McCain-Kennedy amnesty bill. Gee, do ya think “Joe voter” is getting a bit more involved, or only on the “really big” ticket items?

Comment by Rose — September 30, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

4. So Jean Schmidt has no alternative? And you’re OK with that because the stock market had a great day? Tom, the problem is with the credit markets!

“Stocks were in an upswing, but credit markets remained in a deep chill Tuesday. LIBOR, the London Interbank Offered Rate, rose sharply Tuesday with the level for three-month dollar loans reaching 4.05 percent, from 3.88 percent Monday. LIBOR is the rate banks charge each other, and many consumer and business loans are tied to it. Credit markets continue to fret about the status of the bail out plan and whether it will succeed.”

Comment by Tony B. — September 30, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

5. #4, Don’t put words in my mouth. But she’s not on the relevant committees.

I hate being stampeded, and blackmailed. It’s still happening.

Comment by TBlumer — October 1, 2008 @ 5:44 am

6. Tom, I don’t like being stampeded and blackmailed, either, but your President, Treasury Secretary and Fed chair waited until the relevant markets had all but seized before proposing a fix.

Rose, this is no “democrat” bill or policy. It is a bipartisan modification of the bill proposed by President Bush and Secretary Paulson.

Comment by Tony B. — October 1, 2008 @ 7:24 am

7. #6, you don’t get it.

Nobody is “my” anything. You know that, and you don’t care. You just continue to the dishonest tagging. Bleep you.

Bush is wrong. Paulson should be fired. Maybe Bernanke too, with retro impeachment of Greenspan, and current ones of Barney Frank and the Dems who pretended there wasn’t a d**n thing wrong at Fan and Fred for all these years.

In a former time, they would know that the honorable thing to do would be to fall on their swords for what they have done.

The is a “democrat” fix that Republicans are being asked to buy into in sufficient numbers to give cover.

Comment by TBlumer — October 1, 2008 @ 7:33 am

8. So you didn’t vote for Bush twice?

What’s with the anger and language? You’re starting to sound like John McCain.

Comment by Tony B. — October 1, 2008 @ 10:14 am

9. #8, Someone I vote for, whoever that might have been, isn’t “my” guy.

I’m offended at your presumptuousness. That’s different from anger.

Comment by TBlumer — October 1, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

10. So you normally tell someone “bleep you” when you’re not angry?

Tom, I meant “your” as in “your party.” I’m sorry that I so offended you. You do seem to have kinda thin skin for a blogger, though.

Comment by Tony B. — October 1, 2008 @ 4:23 pm

11. Your arguments have turned so pathetic and fundamentally dishonest that they’re not worth my way-too-short time.

Comment by TBlumer — October 1, 2008 @ 4:46 pm