May 31, 2009

How Long Will It Take Media To Tag Tiller Murderer As Not Part of Prolife Movement?

TillerAbortionist0509Steven Ertelt at LifeNews.com is telling us more about the alleged murderer of Kansas abortionist George Tiller than establishment media news sources (bold is mine):

George Tiller Shooting Suspect Caught, No Connection With Pro-Life Groups

Authorities have apprehended a Kansas man suspected of killing late-term abortion practitioner George Tiller on Sunday morning at his church. Police have identified the man as 51-year-old Scott Roeder of Merriam, Kansas and he has been detained but has not yet been officially charged.

As has been the case with most previous incidents of abortion-related violence, Roeder appears to have an affiliation with extremist political groups but not with the mainstream pro-life movement.

Pro-life groups have quickly and genuinely condemned the Tiller shooting.

In 1996, officials in Kansas apparently stopped his vehicle for not having a valid license plate, which he removed as an act of anti-governmental protest. His license plate apparently had slogans such as “Private Property, Immunity Declared at Law, Non-Commercial American.”

According to the Kansas City Star, the FBI suspected Roeder of having ties with the Montana Freemen, a militia group, which had had standoffs with authorities.

At the link within the report, Ertelt recites the following organizations that quickly condemned Tiller’s murder: Operation Rescue, Kansans for Life, Priests for Life, “pro-life activist Rev. Patrick Mahoney, members of the youth pro-life group Bound for Life, and others.”

The New York Times has two reporters on the story, but has no information about Scott Roeder beyond his name, which the Times says the Associated Press has reported. An AP story on Tiller’s murder that mentions Roeder’s name is here.

Given how quick the establishment media and the government over the years have both been to assure us — sometimes with little or no evidence — that various murders and attacks committed by someone acting alone, or occasionally even a few people, have not been acts of terrorism committed by specific groups, it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to tell us, if it is indeed the case, that George Tiller’s murderer was not affiliated with the prolife movement — or if they will ever report it at all.

Cross-posted at NewsBusters.org.

1. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Comment by Alo Konsen — June 1, 2009 @ 4:28 am

2. Tiller’s murder, regardless of who did it, means nothing to me — sort of like when terrorists or drug dealers get killed. I’m not going to feign remorse just to make my views more palatable to the leftists who are responsible more for more innocent deaths than any abortionist.

Comment by Joe C. — June 1, 2009 @ 6:29 am

3. The guy who killed Tiller is obviously not a pro-lifer as shown by his actions. Kind of hard to be pro life while going around killing another killer. As Joe C. said no tears are shed for Tiller. My only concern over this incident is how the left will use it to advance their political aims. Every high profile shooting is an opportunity to continue the attack on the Second Amendment.

Comment by Largebill — June 1, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

4. #2 and #3, I pray for the repose of George Tiller’s soul, and that somehow in the final moments he got right with God. It is possible; it’s not unheard of.

As much as we’d like to think that murdering a guy like Tiller might accomplish good, it doesn’t. We’re not in control. Look at the former partial-birth abortionist who has spoken out against it and exposed its scope. If he had been killed, we still might not know the extent of the barbaric procedure, and it might still be legal.

Comment by TBlumer — June 2, 2009 @ 7:35 am

5. TB,

I’m not saying that his murder is not a tragedy for his family, and certainly not that it is a good thing. Only that I don’t care one way or the other about his loss. The same as when I read about terrorist and drug dealers that get killed. I don’t care about them either. I don’t condone murder, but nor will I feign outrage as if he was an innocent newborn, for example.

Comment by Joe C. — June 2, 2009 @ 9:35 am

6. #5 Joe C. and #3 LB,

My response was a bit in haste due to the need to get out this morning and I can see how you think it may have implied something not meant.

I am sure that you both agree with my first para, and the second was me thinking out loud, and not assigning any of those thoughts to you.

Comment by TBlumer — June 2, 2009 @ 2:17 pm