October 22, 2009

What Should Not Be Forgotten in the Government-Demanded Executive Pay Reductions ….

…. is the fact that banks had their TARP money forced onto them in the first place:

BizzyBlog101508PaulsonForcedTARP

So when “the Obama administration’s special master for executive compensation” (are these titles starting to scare anyone yet?) says, as phrased by Bloomberg, that “seven taxpayer-rescued firms should become the model for the rest of Wall Street and corporate America,” he’s really saying “Now that we forced money on you by pointing a (figurative in the physical sense but very threatening in a real sense) gun to your heads, we’re also going to force you to pay your people the way we want you to pay your people. And if you resist, you can expect the full weight of our bully pulpit to come crashing down on you — and, if necessary, as you saw with AIG, on your families.”

The original CNBC vid from last year is still there, as chilling as ever.

ACORN Philly Follies Follow-up

ACORNfibulousFour1009As noted here late last night, BigGov posted James O’Keefe’s and Hannah Giles’s latest video yesterday. It totally nuked claims by ACORN National and ACORN Philly that O’Keefe and Giles had been “shown the door” and “kicked out” after a “few minutes” in their Philly Office visit — claims that establishment media outlets and the Obama-ACORN apparatchiks at Media Matters for America continued to repeat even, as shown in the excerpt that follows, after ACORN was proven to have lied about what happened in New York City and San Diego.

Billy Hallowell at BigGovernment.com has a great recap of the not well-known ACORN and media goofs that have occurred since James O’Keefe and Hannah Giles released their first two sting videos (links are in original):

The mainstream media were complicit in their coverage of the ACORN scandal. Their behavior was and continues to be an insult to democracy and journalistic responsibility as the Fourth Estate has ignored facts, engaged in one-sided sourcing, and avoided basic and inherently important journalistic questioning.

…. there were cases of gratuitously sloppy journalism. Some of the outlets that did cover the story simply skipped over basic interview questions. In several instances, Bertha Lewis made the false claim that the filmmakers were turned away in “dozens of cities.” In a CNN interview with Rick Sanchez, Lewis said, “…the filmmakers went to dozens of offices. They were turned away.” In a more flagrant example of corroborating untruths, Lewis reiterated her “dozens” on MSNBC, stating, “…They were thrown out of dozens of offices. And, in fact, in Philadelphia, we called the police, filed a police report.”

Similarly, Wolf Blitzer, failed to adequately question Lewis. While on his show, Lewis made the following statement: “This sort of notorious crew went around to dozens of our offices. What you don’t see are the offices that threw them out… offices that filed police complaints.”

The lack of depth of these interviews with Lewis has been egregious. Upon hearing of the “dozens,” even the most unseasoned journalist would know to ask, “What were the cities where filmmakers were thrown out?” And, what about the police reports (plural) that were filed by multiple “offices”? Like Sanchez’s treatment of the “dozens,” Blitzer failed to ask for a list of cities that took such action. Lewis was granted a free pass, as no probing questions were asked about the issues in question.

…. On Sept. 12, just two days after the Maryland tape was made public, Lewis released a statement on ACORN’s Web site, writing, “This recent scam, which was attempted in San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia to name a few places, had failed for months before the results we’ve all recently seen.”

Following subsequent video releases, New York and San Diego were dropped from ACORN’s list of cities where the filmmakers were allegedly “turned away” and the aforementioned statement was removed from ACORN’s Web site, thus erasing evidence of inconsistency.

Along the way, as Hallowell notes, both the Associated Press and the Washington Post smeared O’Keefe with a false charge of racism and then quietly corrected those assertions after their slanderous seeds had been planted (sound familiar?).

But the press let Bertha Lewis tell the same lie all over again (bold is mine):

Despite the fact that Bertha Lewis’ credibility had been completely compromised on September 14th with with the release of the New York ACORN investigation (not to mention the San Diego videos released on Sept. 17), she was granted a forum with The National Press Club on Oct. 6; the conference was broadcast on C-SPAN. In that presser, Lewis used the debunked information from the Associated Press and Washington Post articles that had since been corrected. Yes, the NPC gave her a platform to continue touting untruths that were previously purveyed by the supine media. She said, “O’Keefe, himself, told The Washington Post, ‘They’re registering too many minorities. They usually vote Democratic. Somebody’s got to stop them’…”

… The ACORN story has, once again, shown the media’s inability to fulfill its duties.

The National Press Club still has the video of Lewis’s lying October 6 speech at its site without any hint of its proven shortcomings.

At the beginning of that video, you’ll see an introduction of Lewis by Bloomberg’s Jonathan D. Salant that sounds more like a talking press release than the “we’ve asked her to come here to defend herself” introduction that would have been appropriate in the circumstances.

That the slanted Salant would make such a fawning introduction should not surprise anyone familiar with his work. This is the same guy who tried to turn lemonades into lemons in early October by pretending that a Quinnipiac poll showing that voters oppose ObamaCare was still good news.

A revised and extended version of this entry went up at NewsBusters.org this afternoon.

Positivity: Traditional Anglican group ‘profoundly moved’ by Pope’s new provision for converts

Filed under: Positivity — Tom @ 9:18 am

From Blackwood, Australia:

Oct 22, 2009 / 02:57 am

The Primate of the Traditional Anglican Communion has responded to the Vatican’s announcement of a new provision for Anglicans who wish to convert to Catholicism, saying his church is “profoundly moved” by Pope Benedict’s generosity. He added that the provision will now be taken to the national synods of his Communion. In an Oct. 20 statement published on the website of the communion’s The Messenger Journal, Traditional Anglican Communion Primate Archbishop John Hepworth said he had been speaking with bishops, priests and lay people of the Communion in England, Africa, Australia, India, Canada, the U.S. and South America about the recent news.

“We are profoundly moved by the generosity of the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI,” Archbishop Hepworth wrote. He said the creation of the canonical structure for Anglicans was an act of “great goodness” on the part of Pope Benedict and his “cause of unity.”

“It more than matches the dreams we dared to include in our petition of two years ago. It more than matches our prayers. In those two years, we have become very conscious of the prayers of our friends in the Catholic Church. Perhaps their prayers dared to ask even more than ours,” the Traditional Anglican archbishop added.

He praised the “pastoral nature” of the notes released by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and also noted that his fellow bishops have signed the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

In that 2007 event, Traditional Anglican bishops signed the Catechism and placed it on the altar of the historic National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in Norfolk, England in order to attest to “the faith we aspire to teach and hold.”

The signed Catechism was later presented to then-Fr. Augustine Di Noia, OP, the senior ecumenical theologian at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Di Noia has since been consecrated an archbishop and named Secretary of the Vatican’s Congregation for Divine Worship.

Archbishop Hepworth also discussed the statement issued by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, the most senior prelate in the Church of England and the Anglican Communion.

The statement shows that Archbishop Williams does not stand in traditional Anglicans’ way, he said. ….

Go here for the rest of the story.