January 21, 2010

Kevin DeWine, Screwing Up A Perfectly Perfect Storm… (Also See Updates)

Filed under: Activism,Taxes & Government — Rose @ 12:49 pm

Typical.

Once again, instead of submitting to the will of the people, Kevin DeWine and the frat boys at the ORP are tripping…

I know, nothing new. Ya know, I never thought anyone could make Bob Bennett look even remotely competent, but Kevin is getting closer than most.

After boxing out the money people and thumbing their nose at the grassroots favorite Attorney General candidate Dave Yost, NOW the ORP is whispering sweet nothings into his ear to run for the State Auditor’s seat vacated by Mary Taylor.

This of course puts him in a primary with Seth Morgan, who is expected to announce his candidacy for State Auditor today in Columbus.

Bad move all around. If Dave Yost moves to the Auditor’s race, he loses credibility – especially since he will be responsible for giving DeWine the AG primary by default – and seriously lessens his chances of beating Democratic useful idiot David Pepper. A primary between Yost & Morgan lessens both their chances.

Kevin DeWine is doing this to:
1. Clear the AG field for cousin Mike DeWine.
2. Pit two strong conservative candidates against each other in the Auditor primary (Yost & Morgan).
3. Remember, the least amount of conservatives the ORP has to deal with, the better.

Kevin, r-e-a-d,  t-h-i-s,  v-e-r-y,  c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I’m typing really slow for you now…

All the money in the world will not help your loser, RINO, anti-Second Amendment, anti-ANWR, anti-traditional marriage, pro-Ted Kennedy legislation cousin, win the general even if you corruptly fix the primary so that he wins by default (do we need anymore fricking nepotism & corruption out of Columbus)? He will lose to Cordray and Cordray will not have to spend a dime, period.

So, we lose the Auditor’s seat and the AG seat. That’s some strategy, Kev.

Act in the best interest of the people for once Kevin. Support Dave Yost for AG, support Seth Morgan for Auditor and tell cousin Mikey that if he wants back in the game, pony-up some cash to genuine conservative candidates and maybe you’ll hire him next year.

And where is “I’m bordering on ego & narcissism” John Kasich? So much for leadership…grabs the Auditor under the guise of “the top of the ticket will drive the other races,” then allows idiots like Husted & DeWine to prevent that from happening? So much for any of them paying attention to what’s happening on the ground.

This year is a no-brainer…strong, conservative candidates and no retreads. That allows the perfect storm that has been brewing over the last 2 years to sweep some serious sense back into every seat that was lost in 2006. And as goes Ohio…

Instead, the “no-brainers” in Columbus have put the entire year in jeopardy.

I for one am tired of paying for Columbus’ derangement.

Update: Matt over @ WMD nails it here and here.

Update 2: Nate over @ From the Rustbelt hits this hard as well.

Update 3: Indications are that this is a done deal. Nothing like taking the wind out of our sails early.

1. Plus …. Seth Morgan is a CPA, as is Mary Taylor. At the risk of sounding parochial, the person who serves as the auditor of a $25-30 billion a year operation should have, like, I dunno, knowledge of auditing, which a CPA has to have by definition to have his/her certificate.

Dave Yost is a really great guy … and he’s a prosecutor. That qualifies him to be AG. It doesn’t qualify him to be an auditor.

It’s been at almost 20 years if not longer since Mike DeWine has been a prosecutor. He has no business pretending he’d be a better AG than Yost.

Comment by TBlumer — January 21, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

2. Ohio’s 2010 ticket is lining up to be NOT what the people want, but what Kevin DeWine wants. Believe me, they are not always one in the same.

Comment by Rose — January 21, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

3. I have confirmed that Seth Morgan has actual audit experience as well. Some CPAs pass the audit part of the CPA exam but end up doing management consulting or tax work and never get on actual audits, but I have been told that this is NOT the case with Seth.

Morgan’s candidacy and his defeat of David Pepper, for whom CPA stands for Can’t Possibly Audit, should work to professionalize the State Auditor’s position and depoliticize it. A state auditor, regardless of party affiliation, should be a CPA or someone with otherwise equivalent audit experience. Someone who doesn’t have it has no business running for the office.

That would include Dave Yost, who I understand is seriously considering the switchover. If so, that’s not the Dave Yost I’ve met or that Rose has worked with. I hope it’s really just perfunctory feelers to placate the ORP by saying, “yeah, I looked at it and it won’t work,” and not genuine.

I also understand that the Dayton-area Tea Partiers have made it plain in no uncertain terms that they are behind Morgan for Auditor and Yost for AG and NOT auditor.

Some people might remember that I wrote a post in June telling John Kasich that he had to do something to minimize ORPINO’s influence. Specifically at the time I said that getting behind Jon Husted was unacceptable. Apparently Kasich ignored that suggestion. Maybe he thought saying okay to Husted would satisfy ORPINO and stop the tampering. How foolish.

Comment by TBlumer — January 21, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

4. Yost will win the AG primary. The ORP keeps telling him he won’t…but he will (if he stays in of course). In doing so, he challenges Cordray much more than DeWine b/c there is a clear alternative. Did they learn nothing from the Brown race?

Even if he does lose to Cordray, he can come back politically. If he switches seats, he doesn’t.

I don’t envy Yost’s position…but hope that he remains steadfast. He was what, 6th, 7th on the list of ORP choices? They’re not going to get behind him anymore than they are now…I hope Dave sees that.

Husted & DeWine are bringing down the ticket even before the dems get a hold of them.

Comment by Rose — January 21, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

5. This post is spot-on. Good job, Rose.

Comment by Daniel Jack Williamson — January 21, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

6. Thanks for saying it like it is Tom. The Taylor move was dumb, dumb, dumb. Our only hope is that decent candidates (read: not DeWine) win the primaries now.

Comment by dave — January 22, 2010 @ 8:42 am

7. #5, Thx. Evidently quite a few people are calling & emailing the ORP in support of Yost of AG & Morgan for Auditor. Spread the word! >;o)

Comment by Rose — January 22, 2010 @ 9:01 am

8. #6, Dave — This post is Rose’s.

The Taylor move looks dumb only because of ORPINO’s attempted kingmaking.

The Taylor move is smart if ORPINO stays out of it and lets GOP voters decide if they like Yost or DeWine better. Same argument re Morgan or someone else who independent or ORPINO makes a decision to have a go at it. In this political environment, I’m not worried about a strong, experienced non-incumbent GOP candidate winning the auditor’s race against David Pepper “CPA” (Can’t Possibly Audit).

ORPINO just refuses to understand that its role is to support candidates GOP voters select, not to decide their choices ahead of time …. and as you know, I believe that goes for incumbents too. Going back to Pierce 2006, I’m beyond sick and tired of them rigging primaries. Of course Dems do it too (see Brown v. Hackett).

Comment by TBlumer — January 22, 2010 @ 9:53 am

9. Adding my voice as a voter wary of the ORP regressing to Big-Spending republicans.

It’s timely that Malkin’s column today warns of ‘country club republicans’, and the insider moves happening behind the scenes. Her article on the insider moves happening behind the scenes is here:

Comment by Cornfed — January 22, 2010 @ 10:41 am

10. On November 25, 2009 I wrote an article entitled “Ohio Attorney General race highlights fight for heart & soul of state Republican party.” Today, Ohio Republican Party Chairman Kevin DeWine is offering AG candidate Dave Yost a chance to sell his soul to the devil.

Comment by Chad D. Baus — January 23, 2010 @ 12:09 am

11. Mr. Chairman, the Chairman of the Republican Party of The State of Ohio has tactical and strategic responsibilities. One of the strategic responsibilities is to see and effectively respond to voter trends. The trend that is sweeping the nation is a conservative, anti-statist wave. In today’s information age all elections are effected by broad national trends. We saw the beginning of the trend in VA and NJ in November. Last Tuesday the trend continued to gather steam in MA with Scott Brown’s great victory and he specifically talked about a nationwide Conservative resurgence. In our great state, the best ticket would be to include the best young Conservatives as possible. Our party should seek THE best minds and men. Seth Morgan for State Auditor and Dave Yost for Attorney General are two strong candidates for state-wide office. It is now clear – if our party wants to win we must run candidates with strong conservative principles and credentials. Please let your party know how you see it. In our phone conversations you have portrayed very strong conservative intentions. I sense growing dissatisfaction with your recent statements and leadership. This is not good for our party. Please respond.

Comment by Lee S. Bollow — January 23, 2010 @ 11:13 am

12. [...] At BizzyBlog:  Kevin DeWine, Screwing Up A Perfectly Perfect Storm . . . [...]

Pingback by ORP pushing Yost around to clear AG primary for Mike DeWine « Buckeye RINO — January 23, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

13. A few years ago I started a weblog called “Not One Red Cent,” which I was hoping to turn into a movement within Ohio to turn the ORP around. It seemed kind of hair brained back in 08′ to a number of folks I knew and I eventually gave it up realizing it wasn’t even worth one minute of my time.

But I wonder what Ohio’s Republicans might think about it today.

Here’s my short manifesto: http://saynotoorp.blogspot.com/2008/04/boycott-begins.html

Things have changed though…Kevin DeWine proved to be two faced and the ORP is worst off…as is Ohio.

Comment by Brian — January 24, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

14. There’s pretty much no way I would vote for Mike DeWine for dog catcher, let alone against NRA A-rated Cordray. And I’m a Tea Party-style conservative.

Comment by Steve — January 25, 2010 @ 11:38 am