Latest Pajamas Media Post (‘Universities and Government Bureaucracies: The Left’s Chokepoint Charlies’) Is Up
It will go up here at BizzyBlog on Friday morning (link won’t work until then) after the blackout expires.
So many chokepoints, so little space: Here are a few other leftist chokepoints and potential chokepoints I didn’t get to in the column –
- Broadcast licenses. This is particularly germane at the moment, given that certain lefty journalists at the Journolist, as reported this morning at the Daily Caller, openly discussed how to go about having Fox News’s broadcast license pulled, and made it clear that if they had such power they would exercise it.
- Political contributions. You want to try to effect political change? Well, you can’t just write a check in any amount to your favorite political candidate, as you could only 40 years ago (e.g., Gene McCarthy, whom George Will reminded us in 2005 “was utterly dependent on large early contributions from five rich liberals” in his 1968 campaign). No-no-no. You can only give a candidate so much. This works to make challenges to incumbents difficult.
- Work during retirement. Do you want to earn more than about $14,160 per year after you retire and begin receiving Social Security benefits? From age 62-66, you’ll lose a dollar in benefits for every two dollars you earn about that threshold amount. This is a chokepoint legacy of FDR, who thought that getting seniors to stop working (the earnings penalty used to be dollar for dollar) would reduce unemployment among young people.
There are surely many other examples of chokepoints besides the ones cited here and in the PJM column.
But in at least three areas, where there is a legitimate need for chokepoints, leftists work to undermine or eliminate them:
- Illegal immigration. Leftists undermine efforts to keep illegals from coming in, and work to thwart attempts to expel those who are caught.
- Incarcerating criminals who deserve it. Leftist lawyers work to set them free on technicalities, regardless of whether or not the cretin involved actually did the crime.
- Voting. The ballot box should be a chokepoint, in that only citizens without felony criminal records and who are actually alive should have a right to vote. Leftists up to and including the Obama Department of Justice are working to undermine the integrity of that chokepoint by not enforcing laws on the books requiring that voter rolls be cleaned up, and insisting that requiring ID to be able to vote is somehow discriminatory (it only “discriminates” against those who wish to vote illegally).