October 17, 2012

Obama’s Libya Questioner: Post-Debate, President Privately Told Him That He Delayed Calling Benghazi a Terrorist Attack

It looks like Candy Crowley, her establishment press excuse-makers (for her and President Obama), and supporters of the President are going to have to resort to finding penumbras emanating from Obama’s September 12 Rose Garden appearance — y’know, the one during which the press and Democrats insist that the President really, really did call the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya a terrorist attack.

The reason they’re going to have to do this is because the person who asked Obama the Libya question is saying that the President himself told him that he delayed calling Benghazi a terrorist attack. Erik Wemple at the Washington Post apparently doesn’t grasp the damning significance of what the questioner, Kerry Ladka, relayed to him.

(more…)

Crowley Backtracks on Her Backtrack

Just before 1 p.m. ET, Rush Limbaugh said the following about CNN’s Candy Crowley and her performance as “moderator” last night in the second presidential debate: “In the real world, she would have committed career suicide last night.”

Well, Rush, don’t discount her ability to self-immolate just yet. The Washington Post reports that Crowley is backtracking on her backtrack (HT PJ Tatler):

Candy Crowley: I didn’t backtrack on Libya in debate

CNN’s Candy Crowley denied Wednesday morning that she had moved away from her own comments on Libya when she moderation the previous night’s debate.

… On ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan said that Crowley had already taken back the first part of that statement. “The moderator said that she — that he was right in the main on this, that she wasn’t correct in pointing out that he made reference to this being a specific terrorist attack,” he said.

What Crowley said on CNN after the debate: Romney “was right in the main, I just think he picked the wrong word.” But on the same network Wednesday morning, she said she was in no way taking back her original interjection.

“Listen, what I said on that stage is the same thing I said to you actually last night,” she told Soledad O’Brian. “[W]e got hung up on this ‘yes he said,’ ‘no I didn’t,’ ‘I said terror,’ ‘you didn’t say terror.’ … So I said, [President Obama] did say ‘acts of terror, call it an act of terror, but Governor Romney, you are perfectly right that it took weeks for them to get past the tape.’”

Asked if that was a backtrack, Crowley said, “No. The question was — we got so stuck on that ‘act of terror.’ Now, did the President say this was an act of terror? The president did not say — he said ‘these acts of terror,’ but he was in the Rose Garden to talk about Benghazi, so I don’t think that’s a leap.” (The exact phrase Obama used: “no acts of terror.”)

Here is what Obama said in the Rose Garden on September 12:

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

She still doesn’t get the basics right. She thinks it’s “these acts of terror,” when he said “no acts of terror.”

As I wrote at my home blog this morning:

He did not — did not — did freaking not — call Benghazi an “act of terror.” Additionally, moments later, he deliberately avoided calling the attack terrorism, only saying that “We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.” That’s “terrible,” not “terrorist.”

Candy Crowley’s ad hoc “fact check” was wrong.

And of course, all of this begs the question of why Obama would have allowed his apparatchiks to run around for at least seven more days telling everyone they could that Benghazi resulted from a “spontaneous” protest (when there really was no protest) about a video which virtually no one had ever seen or heard of.

What do you have to say about that, Ms. Crowley?

Cross-posted at NewsBusters.org.

IBD: Obama vs. Reagan in Eight Charts

Filed under: Economy,Taxes & Government — Tom @ 12:29 pm

Devastating (HT Instapundit):

IBDgraphs1012

Investor’s Business Daily, in the related editorial, elaborated further:

… (For First Lady Michelle Obama) to call Obama’s recovery — which started just five months after he took office and is now in its 40th month — “huge” shows just how detached from reality the White House has become.

Obama’s policies have produced a smaller economic recovery than any since World War II. This recovery is so small that only half the jobs lost in the recession have been recouped. It’s so small that there are almost half a million more long-term unemployed today than in June 2009, and millions have dropped out of the labor force altogether.

The Obama recovery is so small that median household incomes have been steadily falling since it started, and there are 11 million more people on food stamps and 2.7 million more mired in poverty.

Indeed, had Obama’s recovery merely been average, there would be about 8 million more people with jobs today, and the GDP would be $1.2 trillion bigger.

That’s almost $4,000 for each man, woman, and child in America lost to misguided economic policies. You can’t spin that.

‘Million Muppet March’ Is ‘Now Million Puppet March’; I Wonder Why?

MillionMuppPuppetMarch.png

In my Monday post (at NewsBusters; at BizzyBlog)about the “Million Muppet March,” the astroturfing Obama-supportive operation being managed by Michael Bellavia — a gentleman whose animation firm “just so happens” to have Sesame Workshop as a major client — I questioned how he and the rest of the group can be so sure that they “can just use the Muppet characters … at a brazenly political event without worrying about consequences.”

My take on this morning’s “march”-related news is that “march” organizers have quietly been prevented from doing so. That’s because they’re not calling it the “Million Muppet March” any more.

It’s now the “Million Puppet March.” The remarkably incurious Associated Press, in a brief report this morning (produced in full for fair use and discussion purposes), unskeptically relayed the group’s pathetic name-change excuse:

(more…)

Dinan at Washington Times: Reporters Applauded (Literally) Obama’s Dig at Romney’s Wealth

At the Washington Times early this morning, Stephen Dinan reported that “The room set aside for reporters to watch Tuesday night’s debate erupted into applause after President Obama ridiculed the size of Mitt Romney’s personal wealth.”

Though he later described it as “a brief round of applause,” Dinan’s observation nonetheless shows that the establishment press isn’t the collection of impartial people they claim to be. They instead include a large contingent of class-conscious, leftist cheerleaders. Most of Dinan’s brief report is after the jump, followed by analysis of the Obama-Romney exchange by John Hayward at Human Events.

(more…)

CNN’s Craven Candy Crowley …

… covered the Commander in Chief’s keister when she backed up his claim that he called the Benghazi consulate attack an act of terror on September 12

Obama said in the debate: “The day after the attack, Governor, I stood in the Rose Garden, and I told the American people and the world that we are going to find out exactly what happened, that this was an act of terror.”

Ad hoc “fact-checker” Crowley claimed: “He did call it an act of terror.”

No he didn’t.

What Obama said in the Rose Garden on September 12 was: “no acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation.” He did not — did not — did freaking not — call Benghazi an “act of terror.” Additionally, moments later, he deliberately avoided calling the attack terrorism, only saying that “We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.” That’s “terrible,” not “terrorist.”

Except that even CNN’s Anderson Cooper knew that was wrong, and said so. After the debate, Crowley crawled it back, saying that Romney was “right in the main” but “picked the wrong word”). What a hack.

Debate polling appears to say Obama won on points, but Romney prevailed on substance (HT Ace, whose take is that “on actual issues — the ones that will determine this election — Romney destroyed him”). Not bad considering that it was a two-on-one game all night long.

Bad Blue Shout-Out

Filed under: News from Other Sites — Tom @ 7:15 am

I want to take a moment to congratulate Doug Ross on the continued success of his BadBlue web site. It’s a great place to go for news the establishment press won’t cover.

I know I don’t go there enough. That will change; I need to lift NewsBusters post ideas from somewhere, after all. :–>

Wednesday Off-Topic (Moderated) Open Thread (101712)

Filed under: Lucid Links — Tom @ 6:05 am

Rules are here. Possible comment fodder may follow later. Other topics are also fair game.

__________________________________________

Positivity: Leader of rescued Chilean miners visits Pope for Year of Faith

Filed under: Marvels,Positivity — Tom @ 6:00 am

From Vatican City:

Oct 16, 2012 / 12:06 pm

On the second anniversary of the historic rescue of 33 workers from a mine in Chile, the group’s leader attended a Mass opening the Year of Faith at the Vatican on Oct.11, thanking Pope Benedict for his prayers.

Luis Urzua Iribarren, 54, was shift leader at time of the collapse in the San Jose Mine in Atacama. He was the last to reach the surface during the rescue effort that began on Oct. 11, 2010, and ended two days later.

The Chilean miner traveled to Rome to attend the opening Mass of the Year of Faith and to thank Pope Benedict XVI for his prayers and support during the ordeal that lasted 70 days.

In an interview with CNA, Urzua said that without the help of their Catholic faith, “we would not have survived that harsh trial.”

“I made this visit to thank the Pope for his care, for being an ambassador of faith to the entire world, which is most important,” he said. “The Holy Father has asked us, and we must all do our part.”

During the Mass, Urzua and other workers from around the world received a copy of the documents of the Second Vatican Council from the pontiff. In return, he gave the Pope a letter and a photo signed by each of the 33 miners.

The group was trapped underground after a collapse occurred in the mine on Aug. 5, 2010. Thanks to the meticulous efforts of rescue workers, they were taken out one at a time Oct. 11 and 12 through a special capsule which brought them to the surface from a depth of more than 600 meters. …

Go here for the rest of the story.