Home Depot Co-Founder Bernie Marcus: ‘We Can Do Better’ (Update: Remembering Lou Pritchett’s ‘Open Letter to President Obama’)
- “I see what’s going on today and I’m frightened to death, I’m just frightened to death.”
- “(in this kind of business environment) we couldn’t get past six stores (today).” (Home Depot has over 2,000 stores worldwide, the vast majority of which are in the U.s.)
- “(As a result of businesses not expanding) kids are coming out of college and not getting jobs because companies are not hiring.”
- “The debt doesn’t mean anything to him (Obama).”
- “Who is going to bail us out?”
- “He (Obama) is surrounded by people who don’t have a clue about how to fix the economy … and they’ve demonstrated.”
He also mentioned that a Romney presidency would turn things around slowly and that doing so will be very tough.
Related, from June 2009: People should have been paying attention long ago when retired Procter & Gamble Vice President Lou Pritchett, who retired in 1995, wrote an “Open Letter to President Obama” –
… You scare me because you have never run a company or met a payroll.
You scare me because you have never had military experience, thus don’t understand it at its core.
You scare me because you lack humility and ‘class’, always blaming others.
You scare me because for over half your life you have aligned yourself with radical extremists who hate America and you refuse to publicly denounce these radicals who wish to see America fail.
You scare me because you are a cheerleader for the ‘blame America’ crowd and deliver this message abroad.
You scare me because you want to change America to a European style country where the government sector dominates instead of the private sector.
You scare me because you want to replace our health care system with a government controlled one.
You scare me because you prefer ‘wind mills’ to responsibly capitalizing on our own vast oil, coal and shale reserves.
You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.
You scare me because you have begun to use ‘extortion’ tactics against certain banks and corporations.
You scare me because your own political party shrinks from challenging you on your wild and irresponsible spending proposals.
You scare me because you will not openly listen to or even consider opposing points of view from intelligent people.
You scare me because you falsely believe that you are both omnipotent and omniscient.
You scare me because the media gives you a free pass on everything you do.
You scare me because you demonize and want to silence the Limbaughs, Hannitys, O’Relllys and Becks who offer opposing, conservative points of view.
You scare me because you prefer controlling over governing.
Finally, you scare me because if you serve a second term I will probably not feel safe in writing a similar letter in 8 years.