In a move which appears conveniently timed to coincide with a wave of other arguably more damaging bad news for the administration, the Department of Justice informed the Associated Press on Friday that it had secretly obtained two months of its reporters’ and editors’ telephone records.
In the words of AP’s Mark Sherman in coverage late this afternoon, “the government seized the records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to AP and its journalists in April and May of 2012.” Sherman also notes that “more than 100 journalists work in the offices where phone records were targeted, on a wide array of stories about government and other matters,” and that those records “were presumably obtained from phone companies earlier this year” (i.e., after Obama was safely re-elected). More from Sherman’s report, a comment from yours truly, and several comments by others who have read AP’s coverage follow the jump (bolds are mine):
Former Ohio Congressman and two-time presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich was on Fox News and said the following (HT to emailer Gary; also carried elsewhere at a place I refuse to link):
I mean the fact of the matter is that we first have to know that this had an impact on 2012 election, because the truth didn’t come out before the election and now in 2016, I don’t know. I mean you can’t predict. But one thing for sure, Secretary Clinton has to be accountable here and she has more questions to answer. That’s just a fact. How she answers them, we’ll see.
For these two reasons alone (and there may be more), the presidential election of 2012 was not a legitimate exercise. Period.
While we’re at it, Hillary’s proven behavior before, during and after Benghazi make her objectively unfit to be president.
It says something about the seriousness of the rest of the news during the past several days when a story about unethical spying by reporters working for a company founded and built by the current mayor of New York City barely makes a ripple.
It has been alleged, and now admitted, that Bloomberg reporters monitored terminal login activity to develop stories about possible Wall Street executive departures before anyone else outside the entities involved knew and for other news-gathering purposes. The practice appears to go back to when Gotham Mayor Michael Bloomberg was still at the helm of Bloomberg LP, as seen in the bolded sections in the excerpt from a Saturday CNBC news story which follows the jump:
Rules are here. Possible comment fodder may follow later. Other topics are also fair game.
May 10, 2013 / 02:03 am
Six weeks after the Indiana Supreme Court upheld the state’s voucher program, Gov. Mike Pence has signed into law a bill that makes more children eligible for vouchers.
“Our Hoosier students deserve every opportunity to be successful. That includes having the choice to attend the school that works best for them,” Gov. Pence said May 9 at a signing ceremony at Calvary Christian school in Indianapolis.
He said the legislation would give more educational options to the state’s students.
The present program allows a family of four with an annual household income of $64,000 to receive vouchers up to $4,500 per child. Unlike programs in some other states, it does not limit vouchers to low-income students in failing schools.
The new bill expands eligibility requirements for vouchers. More children will be eligible without having to spend at least a year in public schools. Siblings of current voucher students, students with special needs, and children living in the attendance district of a public school that received a failing grade in state performance evaluations will also be eligible, the Associated Press reports.
The Indiana Catholic Conference said in a legislative roundup that current Catholic school families who meet income requirements are eligible for a tax credit scholarship through a scholarship granting organization. …
Go here for the rest of the story.