Here’s my second pass on Christmas and holiday searches for this year
For those who are relatively new and need background, go here to the first post on search done on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in 2010.
Here goes (searches were done late Friday night):
- “holiday shopping season” (in quotes) — 24,800 (86.1%)
- “Christmas shopping season” (in quotes) — 4,010 (13.9%)
Now on to the second set of searches:
- Christmas layoffs (not in quotes, also excluding the word “challenger” to ensure that about 30 items relating to the mass layoffs report issued by Challenger & Christmas were exluded) — 16,400 (49.3%)
- Holiday layoffs (not in quotes) — 10,100 (30.3%)
- Holidays layoffs (not in quotes) — 6,800 (20.4%)
As was the case in Round 1, it looks like the “Christmas” component of the layoff stories, if consistent for the rest of the shopping season, will be the highest in the nine years I’ve been doing this.