Prolife news sites and blogs as well as many other center-right outlets covered the story. The establishment press almost completely ignored it. Matt Balan of NewsBusters noted on March 26 that the story “got picked up by newspapers across much of the Anglosphere – including The Vancouver Sun and The Ottawa Citizen in Canada,” but that it did not “receive wide coverage in the United States.” More like barely any, with the only TV broadcast exception at the time being a segment on Fox News’s The Five. Perhaps the non-coverage excuse was “Well, that’s the UK. It could never happen here.” That excuse was lame anyway, and now it’s no longer operative (go to Page 3 at the B.C. Catholic link; story by Steve Weatherbe):
March was going to be the month when new home sales in the U.S. would finally break out after several months of horrible weather. After all, everyone knew that this winter’s snow, ice, and low temperatures were the only things holding the new home market back. Consensus predictions ahead of today’s related report from the Census Bureau were in the range of 450,000 to 455,000 annualized sales.
Oops. New home sales dove to a seasonally adjusted annualized 384,000, a 14.5 percent decline from February, a slightly larger miss compared to expectations, and a whopping 13.3 percent lower than March 2013. Press reports on this result predictably brought on appearances of the U-word (“unexpectedly”), with at least one interesting twist.
This open thread will stay at or near the top today. Rules are here. Possible comment fodder may follow. Other topics are also fair game.
Understandably lost in the coverage of Meb’s remembrance of those who died last year is the fact that, at age 38, he is the oldest Boston winner since 1930. A marathoner winning any of the major world marathons at that age is a phenomenal achievement.
On a more nationalistic tone, Meb is the first U.S. winner since 1983.
ALSO: The best revenge —
Why Nike dropped me: Boston Marathon winner
Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi says he lost his running shoe deal with Nike three years ago because of his age.
The 38-year-old distance runner signed a new shoe deal three years ago with Skechers, a footwear company more known for casual “lifestyle” shoes than hard-core running gear, after Nike dropped Keflezighi from its endorsement roster.
During an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, Keflezighi said his deal with Skechers has boosted his career and helped his running mechanics.
“I’m almost 39 years old and Nike thought I was probably too old,” Keflezighi said on “Squawk on the Street.” “And with the Skechers partnership, things have been going really well.”
This Month's Posts
|« Mar||May »|
- 2nd Amendment
- Bankruptcy & Reform
- Biz Weak
- Business Moves
- Consumer Outrage
- Corporate Outrage
- Health Care
- Life-Based News
- Lucid Links
- Money Tip of the Day
- MSM Biz/Other Bias
- MSM Biz/Other Ignorance
- National Security
- News from Other Sites
- OH-02 US House
- Ohio Economy
- Ohio Politics
- Privacy/ID Theft
- Quotes, Etc. of the Day
- Soc. Sec. & Retirement
- Stock Schlock
- Taxes & Government
- US & Allied Military
- Wide Open
Posting of comments is not immediate, and may take up to 24 hours.
Comment posting, as well as possible deletion, is
at the sole discretion of BizzyBlog.
Allowing a comment to be posted does not constitute agreement with it, or endorsement of it.