A search at 11:00 p.m. ET tonight at the Associated Press’s national web site on “Serco,” the company with a five-year, $1.25 billion contract to process paper Obamacare enrollment applications, returned no results. That’s absolutely pathetic, given that St. Louis TV station KMOV, based on multiple accounts from several current and former employees and contractors, has reported that the company has well over 1,000 people doing almost nothing all day simply because there are very few paper applications to process. KMOV, which carried five consecutive reports this week (here, here, here, here, and here), even noted in its later segments that its work had drawn national attention.
What’s worse than AP not covering the story nationally? How about the wire service treating it as a local and regional story, even though Serco and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are wasting roughly $20 million per month of U.S. taxpayers’ money, and even though calls for investigation have come from U.S. senators in at least two states? It would have been just as absurd if AP had treated bankrupt Solyndra, which failed to repay an Energy Department loan of over $500 million several years ago, as a California-only story because that’s where its plant was. Excerpts from the AP’s story, including a “This story is boring, so don’t read it” headline, follow the jump (bolds are mine):
Dr. Carson (roundabout HT to a commenter) explains why Barack Obama, who is deliberately standing by as the deceptions occur instead of demanding that they stop, and whose White House in all many instances is actively participating in those deceptions, is “Unfit for Office”:
Making mistakes is part of being human, but the ever-increasing deception that is necessary to cover those mistakes when honesty is abandoned is evil.
No one can reasonably claim that we’re not at that point.
This open thread will stay at or near the top today. Rules are here. Possible comment fodder may follow. Other topics are also fair game.
From New Delhi, India (bold is mine):
May 11, 2014, 03.14 AM IST
Had it not been for a duty-conscious cop, the case would have been dismissed as that of elopement. But displaying investigation skills, a constable from central Delhi managed to trace a 14-year-old girl who had been kidnapped by a 23-year-old man within eight hours.
The incident was reported from Chandni Mahal on May 5 when the girl had come to visit her realtives. The girl’s family members told police she had been kidnapped and SHO Anil Sharma registered a case of abduction. It was then found that a man living in the neighbourhood was also missing since the incident.
“We formed a team to track the man. Constable Ravinder was assigned to analyze the various leads in the case,” said DCP central Alok Kumar. The only lead which the cop had was the last cell ID of the accused which showed Janpath as his last known location. The constable single handedly checked all hotels, restaurants, bus stops and stations in the area around Janpath and finally found the two near Bangla Sahib Gurudwara.
Go here for the rest of the story.