June 30, 2019

Sunday (Moderated) Open Thread (063019)

Filed under: Lucid Links — Tom @ 6:00 am

This open thread is meant for commenters to post on items which they believe need to be known. Rules are here.

Positivity: Dog wakes boy in time for him, sister to escape blaze

Filed under: Positivity — Tom @ 5:55 am

From Gadsden, Alabama (HT Liftable) — a month-old story worth telling:

Posted May 28, 2019 at 5:20 PM
Updated May 28, 2019 at 7:06 PM

Trent and Jenny Thrasher’s home on Lake Forest Drive in Southside is a total loss after an early morning fire Monday, but he says all will be fine.

Thrasher said the family’s German Shepherd woke his 13-year-old son Tyler, and Tyler went to get a drink of water and found the kitchen on fire. He called for his sister, Chloe, 21, and they got out of the house in the nick of time.

“If it’d been a minute later, we’d be making entirely different plans today,” Thrasher said.

“Me and Jenny were out of town,” he said — gone to New Orleans to celebrate him turning 50.

Thrasher said they got the frantic call that their house was on fire, and he immediately called the kids to find out they were OK.

“We drove home about 110 mph,” Thrasher said.

It took firefighters about 6 hours to put out the fire, he said. “They were still here at 7 a.m.”

Southside Fire Chief Tim McKee said a neighbor called and reported the blaze at 1:27 a.m. Monday. He said the neighbor reported an explosion woke them, and they looked out to see flames across the back of the house.

About the time they called 911, McKee said, the Thrashers’ kids ran to their house.

“They’re still pretty shaken up about it,” Thrasher said. Both were taken to a hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

“One of them still sounds raspy,” he said.

Thrasher said they lost everything in the home. “Lots of memories,” he added. “It’s sad.”

But he said it will be all right; the home was insured.

“We lost one little Dachshund,” Thrasher said, but the rest of the family pets escaped.

And most importantly, Tyler and Chloe did.

McKee said fortunately, Tyler was sleeping downstairs in his parents’ bedroom. When he awoke, he discovered the fire, which apparently started in the back porch area and was spreading into the house.

Thrasher said the fire appears to have started in the ceiling above the back porch. …

Go here for the rest of the story.