Way to go!
Understandably lost in the coverage of Meb’s remembrance of those who died last year is the fact that, at age 38, he is the oldest Boston winner since 1930. A marathoner winning any of the major world marathons at that age is a phenomenal achievement.
On a more nationalistic tone, Meb is the first U.S. winner since 1983.
ALSO: The best revenge —
Why Nike dropped me: Boston Marathon winner
Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi says he lost his running shoe deal with Nike three years ago because of his age.
The 38-year-old distance runner signed a new shoe deal three years ago with Skechers, a footwear company more known for casual “lifestyle” shoes than hard-core running gear, after Nike dropped Keflezighi from its endorsement roster.
During an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, Keflezighi said his deal with Skechers has boosted his career and helped his running mechanics.
“I’m almost 39 years old and Nike thought I was probably too old,” Keflezighi said on “Squawk on the Street.” “And with the Skechers partnership, things have been going really well.”
will be already are missed.
Aretha Franklin’s song even spells it for him:
Dan Quayle, call your office.
My spamcatcher does a great job, but until now I’ve always reviewed captured comments to see if a legitimate one got flagged. Maybe once a month I find one I need to pull out of spam.
Overnight, I got over 400 spam comments. I suspect that frequency might continue.
I’m not going to review that many comments at a time.
So, in case that level of spam continues, I regretfully need to advise readers to do the following to make sure their comments don’t get flagged: 1) Keep it fairly short; 2) Don’t include more than one link; 3) Keep it clean.
Tributes and thoughts from his PJ Media colleagues:
Rubin’s outstanding PJ Media archive is here.
UPDATE, Feb. 6: Claudia Rosett’s tribute.
Matt at Weapons of Mass Discussion has two updates on the condition of pioneering blogger Mark Garbett, who was seriously hurt in a Christmas evening auto accident (previous posts here, here and here):
1/24/14 UPDATE: Mark’s Grandma:
Mark JR. is still doing well. The plan is to move him to Drake Hospital next week. … The Lord is Good.
1/31/14 UPDATE: Mark’s Grandma:
Mark Jr. was doing better today. His temp is down around 99. I pray it holds around there. They decided it was an infected pic that caused the infection. If things hold steady, he MAY move to Drake Monday. Physical therapy was working with him and he could lift his arms from flat on the bed up to his head. It was so exciting to see him do that!
Please keep Mark and his family in your prayers.
(Latest Update: May 14, 2014)
Thomas W. Blumer
8251 Arbor Square Drive, #103
Mason, OH 45040
513-336-7121; Wireless 513-260-4494
I have been a contributor at NewsBusters since December 2005, and have been writing columns for PJ Media since early 2008. I have also had my own blog, BizzyBlog, since early 2005, have had stints with Watchdog.org and FrontPageMag.com, and have been an occasional columnist at The Fiscal Times.
I have had my work published in the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal.
I have had two NewsBusters posts linked by Matt Drudge, one in November 2012 and the other in August 2013. The latter involved AP’s cover-up of President Obama’s “Gulf ports” gaffe in early August 2013.
My September 25, 2013 column at PJ Media on Obamacare’s “Wedding Tax” was linked by Drudge for roughly 16 hours.
I have had at least a half-dozen of my NewsBusters posts linked by Rush Limbaugh during the past few years. He named me personally in discussing one of them in June 2012.
Limbaugh also made one of my PJ Media columns the starting point for the cover story in his March 2012 Limbaugh Letter.
Additionally, I am the person:
- Whose work on Jeremiah Wright and his church bulletins was referenced by Hillary Clinton in her April 2008 debate with Barack Obama.
- Who found in 2008 that presidential candidate Obama was a favorite cover topic of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s Trumpet Newsmagazine.
- Who in 2009 exposed how ACORN’s supposedly extensive claims to have helped so many poor people really proved that they had done very little.
- Who in early 2006 stopped a nascent campaign to tie coal miners’ deaths to supposedly lax safety regulation under George W. Bush before it could get started.
- Who has consistently exposed the “Food Stamp Challenge” as a fundamentally dishonest exercise for seven years.
I have also been interviewed dozens of times on radio by at least a dozen different talk show hosts.
- (Concurrent with writing career) Seven years in retail positions, primarily with third-party marketing firms, selling technology devices (printers, scanners, mobile phones, projectors, home theater, tablets, computers) and accessories.
- Over two decades as owner of a training and development company presenting employer-sponsored workshops on personal finance (money management, retirement, and investing).
- 3-1/2 years as the controller of a $30 million privately held manufacturing company.
- 8-1/2 with an international accounting firm — 1-1/2 years in entrepreneurial services, 1-1/2 years in national training and development, and 5-1/2 years in auditing (with some tax season individual tax work).
- 2 years with a local accounting firm.
The news came two weeks ago. It’s about time.
Here are nine songs of Ronstadt at her performing peak in 1983:
The tragedy is that she won’t be able to perform. Here is her interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer earlier this year:
UPDATE, 9:15 p.m.: Matt Hurley has a Facebook update here. Also, Mary was thought to have a fractured neck but actually did not.
Pioneering Weapons of Mass Discussion co-blogger Mark Garbett and his sister Mary were in a serious accident last night.
I am told that “Mark is paralyzed from the chest down and Mary has a fracture in her neck. They both are at University Hospital.”
This is horrible.
Updates will go up at WMD when there’s further news.
Please include Mark, Mary and their family in your prayers.
Blogging will probably cease until this evening, if not later.
Y’know, sort of like a hobby, only weird but not necessarily harmful.
From Liberty Counsel (bolds are mine throughout this post):
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has changed the definition of pedophilia again. In the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-V) of Mental Disorders, the APA changed the classification of pedophilia from a “disorder” to a “sexual orientation,” but following the public outcry, APA released a statement that it was a mistake. “‘Sexual orientation’ is not a term used in the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder, and its use in the DSM-5 text discussion is an error and should read ‘sexual interest.’”
Whether it is classified a “sexual orientation” or a “sexual interest,” any effort to legitimize pedophilia will provide pederasts with all the arguments they need to remove age of consent laws, and children will suffer.
Here’s the full text of the APA statement: